Monday, July 24, 2006

 

Insightfull and damning view of tourism in Newfoundland Labrador

Having never been to the Labrador portion of my fair province nor many parts of the Island portion mainly due to my economic refugee status at an early age I can only take these anecdotal accounts of tourism in NL at face value. But from what I've been reading as of late I can see the truth in this article and am very disheartened by it.

Some of the points made in the article were
Lack of signage on the TLH.
Lack of berths on Ferry
Lack of amenities and info at ferry docking facilities
Ferry traveling at night thus lessening the tourism experience with the Labrador ferry service.

Bit I regress read the article for yourself and see how visitors to our province view their experience.
http://www.thelabradorian.ca/index.cfm?iid=1625&sid=12115

I've always contended that the way forward for our province is through the development of the Labrador portion of our province's infrastructure.

I've never understood why people couldn't sleep in their cars or motor homes on the ferry. I'm sure some form of ventilation and emergency evac plan could be made up to accommodate this.
I once saw a bus in Germany in which the seats flipped up and folded down into a bunk bed set up. I was totally impressed and have searched the internet high and low for pictures of this to no avail.
They have hotels in Japan that are just a bunk in the wall stacked as high as 10. Saw a documentary once.
Remember that seinfeld show where the Japanese tourists stayed in Kramars bureau/dresser LOL.

This would be the perfect time to demand certain things from our ferries what with a call being put out by the Prov Govt for the design of two new ferries.
Comments:
What's "Newfoundland Labrador"?
 
That's ridiculous! I was to Labrador over 30 years ago as a passenger on the CN boat Bar Haven. I would appreciate it more now, but especially if it were a trip inland. However, signage is such an unnecessary problem. Even here on the Island, for years I did not know where Cape St. Mary's was after travelling back and forth from St. John's to the Burin Peninsula for years. Then they finally put up a sign at the Placentia intersection 10 or less years ago. The article described a sure lack of concern for tourism development in Labrador. If you or WJM here have not sent this link to Hospitality Newfoundland & Labrador already, then I will.
 
I know Kodak it does seem like such a simple thing to do, but according to the testimony of the tourists and the article it would seem signage is lacking on the TCH.

No I never sent this link to tourism NL. I guess Ias well as the rest of Labrador or for that matter Newfoundland think those officials are all knowing all seeing and all powerfull.

Actually I'e slacked of on emailing politicians because it seems everytime I email them they have some excuse or justification for their actions.
 
"Actually I'e slacked of on emailing politicians because it seems everytime I email them they have some excuse or justification for their actions."

You got that right. Even Ministers in the job less than a month seem to be up on happenings in their department of 6 months ago.
Defend defend defend, and hope you will go away is the universal tactic.
 
Well for what it's worth I will email the article to HNL and the minister of tourism.
 
Hospitality Newfoundland and Newfoundland doesn't care.
 
I made many of the same points as the Cummings did, in an email to many of the same people, after my own trip.

In 1998.

Nothing changed. The apathy of Newfoundland when it comes to Labrador and Labrador's tourism industry, is boundless. (Not so apathetic about Labrador resources, now, are they?)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]