Tuesday, May 30, 2006

 

Labrador forsaken as a tourist destination

Dear Elected officials

Imagine my dismay when upon reading a distinctly anti Newfoundland-(Pro)Labrador Blog I find myself in agreement with him.

But like I mentioned earlier I have to agree with him on this one http://labradore.blogspot.com/2006/05/across-province.html

I must say it saddens me when someone who I would deem Anti Newfoundland Pro Labrador is right about how the province is treating Labrador.

I would like to make some recommendations if I may.

Since according to your own press release http://www.releases.gov.nl.ca/releases/2006/tcr/0505n06.htm
the criteria for locating a tourist bureau is entry points.

I would like to suggest putting the provinces Tourist Bureaus at

St John's Airport
Gander Airport
Deer Lake Airport
Happy Valley Goose Bay Airport

North Sydney Ferry Port
Would service both the Argentia Run and the PAB run or put one on each ferry.

Labrador City
The one and only land route into our province, especially now that the Trans Labrador Highway is nearing completion.

Other ports of entry to consider with maybe a mobile tourist bureau like in a book mobile. Could even travel to major events in the rest of Canada. Especially when a cruise ship comes in.

Corner Brook Tourist port
Stephenville tourist port/airport
St John's port Cruise ships
St Barbe to Blanc Sa-blanc ferry crossing
St Pierre Ferry Crossing

Regards

Emailed to:
Premier@gov.nl.ca,jackharris@mail.gov.nf.ca,GerryReid@gov.nl.ca,THedderson@mail.gov.nl.ca

CC:
nlfm@nlfm.nf.ca,trideout@gov.nl.ca,trevortaylor@gov.nl.ca,PShelley@mail.gov.nl.ca

Update: I received a response from Minsiter Tom Hederson. I won't post the entire response but just a link to a study done 2 years ago on tourism services in our province.

http://www.tcr.gov.nl.ca/tcr/publications/2005/NLVisSt.pdf
Comments:
As I mentioned on wjm's site, it is still hard to believe that Gov. ignores Labrador as it does. It is not only insulting to Labrador but it doesn't properly expose other tourists to what lies in the big land. Personally I'd like to see alot more of Labrador in tourism promotion. Good suggestions for VICs.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]