Tuesday, March 07, 2006

 

Ginseng to replace Opium farming in Afganistan

I've been thinking lately what crop could possibly be grown in Afganistan and make the same amount of money as their prime crop which is Opium?

I'm no farmer but from what I've seen and heard about the cash value of ginseng grown out in BC it would seem to me that this is one crop that could be of equal of greater economic value. If it is possible to grow Ginseng in Afganistan it would take quite a committment because as far as I know it takes several years for the first crop to become mature enough to harvest. From what I've seen there is also quite a bit of infrastucture required by way of shading irrigation suspension wires for it to climb etc.

There is also the possibility of genetic engineering of the opium plants, seeds to render either the plant or by product useless.

Ginseng is used in many medical products and health products. the one that comes to mind that is made and produced in Canada is Cold FX. With the threat of Avian Influenza looming large products like Cold FX made from Ginseng could become in great demand.

Another crop that is know to grow well in low fertility soils is peanuts but the cash value wouldn't come close to opium.

Support our troops!
Drop of care packages for Afganistan at your local Military or government establishment. Legions, Cadets, Military bases, RCMP stations.
Some of the items I can htink of that would be in great demand in Afganistan are clothing blankets, Candy and ballons for the kids. Hand held radios preferable solar or crank. Beautification seeds plants for our troops base.
Comments:
Thanks for posting your comment and for the links on the seal hunt; very useful!

I wasted my time trying to convince a woman from Georgia that there was nothing wrong with the seal hunt; the people who oppose it have their mindds made up and no matter what information is provided, they still are dead set on boycotting and publicizing it as barbaric. I threw my hands up in frustration.
 
Your welcome. Nice blog you have there. I feel kinda bad about posting those links all over because it feels so much like spamming to me. But the truth needs to get out there.

If you like I can send you all of the links I have on the subject of which there are alot.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]