Monday, August 22, 2005

 
Formal apology to NL natives!

I would like to formally apologize to Newfoundland and Labradors Vibrant native community.

Why you ask? We’ll it’s not like I insulted anyone to their face, far worse now in hind sight. I would purport Newfoundland and Labradors lack or non existence of a Native population in my travels across this great country and around the world in my youth. More often than not I would claim fame at the ANNIHILATION of the Beothics by the importation of other natives to do the dirty work, in response to people’s negative prejudices towards natives.

Just imagine if you were a descendant of one of these imported natives the shame you must carry as A culture and people at the Annihilation/genocide of a total race of people I’m not sure if this is really relevant or worthy but I for one feel these people should bear no shame or guilt at what was at the time condoned and paid for by the powers that be. Mind you I will have to carry the shame of my past actions at spreading this fallacy.

As A consolation and in begging forgiveness at my bigoted and ill advised comments, I would like to highlight four of the web sites of our native community. Yes that’s right not ONE 1, no not TWO 2, not even 3, but rather FOUR 4 (Joey speaking there) very distinct and individual native communities and cultures.

Welcome To Labrador Métis
Micmac Federation of Newfoundland Indians
Welcome to Nunatsiavut
Innu nation
One missing IMHO. The French from out around Stephenville Port au port way?

I don’t claim to be bilingual more like functionally bilingual with having passed not ONE 1, but Two 2 years in Quebec. J’apris la langue francais avec l’aide d’une Blonde dictionaire Translation (I learnt the French language with the aide of a Blonde Dictionary) I also learnt to appreciate their culture and heritage to which they take so much pride in being distinct. All jokes aside it is a lovely province to visit. Off course it is, it shares a border with Labrador and Newfoundland, the most beautiful province in it’s own right.

Please visit these sites they are very informative and rich with culture and heritage. I especially like the respect paid to the Elders and the Elders comments and stories. We could learn a lot in today’s culture from these truly proud first people of this land.

We have to learn to celebrate our differences and build upon our diversity.

Having grown up in Newfoundland and not lived of the land but rather with it. I like to think, I learned an appreciation for the land and its animals. That is to say I never killed an animal I didn’t eat. With one exception a sea gull I shot once and to this day I feel guilt at having done so. I just hope that when I go, pass on I will be forgiven this indiscretion.

I also make it a point of teaching my children these simple rules that if you don’t intend on eating it don’t kill it. Point in case the first rabbit my youngest caught (LOL she named it princess) but we skinned it and made a wonderful stew which we all ate. I asked if they wanted to do some more rabbit catching with the understanding that anything we caught they would have to eat. I received a frank no! I don’t know if it was my cooking  , the killing or if they just didn’t like rabbit? It is an acquired taste IMHO.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]