Friday, June 06, 2008

 

Newfoundland labrador's Bill 101

Newfoundland and or Labrador is not the name of our province. It pisses me of to no end to hear the media or anyone else for that matter to refer to my province by it parts as oppsed to it's whole and true and proper name Newfoundland Labrador.

Now some might say I to am miss spelling the proper name by excluding the and but ever since I found out about the name change I have had a problem with the and. I stopped using the and long before Danny Williams did so no I am not following his foot steps.

While I appreciate Labrador and it's inclusion in the name of our province I fear that it is just the writing on the wall for what is to follow. I curse the day Brian Peckford did it, and I have to wonder why he did it. I'm sure the feds and by extension Quebec had something to do with it because for as long as history has been recorded canada and Quebec has wanted Labrador.

So since it is pretty hard to reverse what has already been done I propose NL start it's own Bill 101 and enshrine it into law that anytime our province is named whether it be in an official capacity or by the private sector in advertising the full and proper name of the province be used Newfoundland Labrador!


This letter to the editor in the Independant just just shows that I am not alone in my disgust with the misuse of the name or our province.


The people of Labrador
have been left out long enough

Dear editor,
I have always read The Independent with much enjoyment and have recommended
it to many people. But when I read the caption underneath the picture
on the front cover of the May 23rd edition I became very upset. Our province
has been named Newfoundland and Labrador for quite some years and when one of the best newspapers in the province gets it wrong, it is very disappointing.
The caption read there’s a chance that Danny Cleary may soon be the first Newfoundlander or Labradorian
to have his name engraved on the Stanley Cup.
We are not either or, we are the people
of Newfoundland and Labrador. I have lived in Happy Valley-Goose Bay for 36 years and the people of Labrador have been left out long enough by the island part of this province. So please let your staff know the correct name of our great province.
Eleanor Burrage,
Happy Valley-Goose Bay

Comments:
"Newfoundland Labrador" is not the name of any province.
 
I curse the day Brian Peckford did it, and I have to wonder why he did it.

You curse the day Brian Peckford did what?
 
Tobin
 
The legal, official name of the province is Newfoundland and Labrador.

The provincial government has called itself the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador since the 1964 labrador Act, a provincial statute.

You couldn't be more factually wrong on this one if you were ghostwriting for Web Talk.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]