Thursday, November 15, 2007

 

Agricultural Land Reserve

They have a thing out here in BC called Agricultural Land Reserve ALR.

Basically it means all Agricultural land is locked in for agricultural purposes.

Now it can be unlocked but it has to be well justified and takes a long process.

Now with urban sprawl Agri land is what I would call the low hanging fruit. It isn't like there isn't lots of land that could easily be developed for residential purposes with a minimum of preparation and increase in cost but unless the ALR is protected it would be used up unwisely.

I heard one time that there is only 5% of the land in NL that is Agricultural Land. That leaves 95% of the land mass in NL for residential development and urban sprawl.
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]