Wednesday, December 13, 2006

 

CAP kuts nd lateracy kuts by Ron from Ron's box of soap

I asked Ron from over at Ron's box of Soap what his thoughts on the recent cuts to literacy and CAP (Community Access Program) sites was.

I figured since he works in a library he would know more and have a more informed opinion than I would on what the effects of such a cut would be. I wasn't wrong, read his response and break down of what these cuts will mean to our communities and libraries here.

Here is an excerpt.
Monday, October 23, 2006


Greg asked me to comment on this which is a link announcing Library Week and the utility of Libraries in our communities. I would prefer to comment on this related issue as it is somewhat close to my heart. There are 96 branches of the public library system across the province and about 90% of them are Community Access Sites. For those of you who don't know the Community Access Program (CAP) is a joint Federal-Provincial Program to provide Internet access to all Canadians irregardless of their age, location, physical/mental ability and income level. All these factors combine to create what has been called the "Digital Divide". For the past 10 years CAP has been funding CAP sites across Canada to help overcome the divide. They also hire trainers to teach the public how to use computers and the Internet. In Newfoundland and Labrador CAP is the main reason we have decent computers for the public in all our public library branches along with High Speed Internet and in some cases wireless access aswell. The program has also provided us on a regular basis with funding to extend branch hours and provide computer training for local seniors etc.


Thanks for the response Ron.
Now the question is what are we going to do about it?
Comments:
Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money now
 
Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money now
 
Perhaps we can hope that the 48% cut is wholly at the Ottawa/bureaucrat end?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]